Japan said North Korea had informed them of its plan to launch a satellite between Thursday and Dec. 1, while Tokyo and Seoul said Pyongyang had launched a spy satellite in violation of U.N. sanctions. This could be the third attempt to put it into orbit, according to a Reuters report.
On Tuesday, Japan’s coast guard said it had received a report about satellite launches from the north in the direction of the Yellow Sea and the East China Sea, the report said.
South Korea’s state maritime safety agency issued a warning to ships of the planned launch heading for the same areas as previous launches.
Reuters reports that Pyongyang attempted to launch a spy satellite twice earlier this year but failed, while South Korean officials said in recent days that it appeared the next attempt would take place soon. Only can be done.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida issued condemnation shortly after the notice, saying that the country’s defense system, including Aegis destroyers and PAC-3 air defense missiles, is prepared for any “unforeseen situation” that may arise.
Also read: ‘We are now closer’: White House on Israel-Hamas deal to free Gaza hostages
“Even if the purpose is to launch a satellite, the use of ballistic missile technology is a violation of a series of UN Security Council resolutions,” Kishida told reporters.
“This is also a matter that greatly affects national security.”
He said Japan would join the United States and South Korea, as well as others, in “strongly urging” North Korea not to proceed with the launch.
South Korea’s Defense Ministry said it was monitoring launches planned by the North, and said previous launches had occurred in the early hours of the first day of the window. Seoul officials said it was possible that a third attempt would be successful.
Also read: Bangladesh convicts 139 opposition officials, activists ahead of January elections, lawyers say
Seoul has also warned Pyongyang that the missile launch could lead to the suspension of an inter-Korean agreement to de-escalate tensions and the resumption of front-line aerial surveillance in response, the Associated Press reports.
“If North Korea goes ahead with the military spy satellite launch despite our warning, our military will take necessary measures to protect people’s lives and safety,” Kang Hopil, a senior South Korean military official, said in a televised statement. ,