Chhath Puja 2023 Rituals: Chhath Puja is celebrated with great pomp and show six days after Diwali, especially in states like Bihar, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh. Chhath Puja celebrations began on Friday, November 17, 2023, with Chhath vratis performing rituals such as taking a bath followed by the holy bath and partaking in the offerings of pumpkin and lentils.
The four-day Chhath Puja will be celebrated till November 20. Each day of Chhath Puja involves different rituals. On the first day, devotees take a holy bath. A fast is observed on the second day and the tradition of offering Arghya to the Sun continues till the third and fourth day. During the evening and morning Arghya, the devotee and the entire family go to the river, pond or ghat.
During Chhath Puja, women observe a strict fast for 36 hours for the well-being, success and long life of their children. Today is the second day of Chhath Puja.
Kharna is being celebrated today on 18th November. This is the second day of Chhath Puja. The fasts associated with Chhath Puja are quite challenging and it is considered necessary to strictly follow its rules to make the puja successful.
Here are some things you need to keep in mind:
- Cleanliness is given utmost importance during Chhath Puja. All items used in Prasad should be thoroughly cleaned. Those making Prasad should also take full care of cleanliness.
- Chhath Prasad is always made on a new stove. A new stove should be used for the prasad offered during Kharna. The stove should be such that it can be plastered daily.
- If you use a gas stove during Chhath then it should be new. It should be used every year only on the day of Chhath. The stove used in the previous Chhath should not be used again.
- Steel or glass utensils should not be used for Chhath Puja. Only utensils made of bamboo should be used for soup and basket. All Prasad should be made in pure ghee.
- The Prasad of Chhath Puja is considered very sacred. While making it, care should be taken that it does not become impure. Those preparing Prasad should take bath and wear clean clothes. The place where Prasad is being made should be completely clean.
- During Chhath Puja, the fasting person is prohibited from sleeping on the bed. A person observing fast for all four days of Chhath festival should sleep on a mat spread on the ground.